Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ah, Christmas...

As the air begins to turn colder and the Halloween candy is nearly gone, the mindset here has most certainly changed. We slow down a little and take the time to smile at the things that help carry us through winter. Houses filled with baked goods and mulled wines and children begin pretending they have been perfect little angels all year round. Couples bundle closer together and fires begin to light in houses around the country as we all wonder what this year's end will bring.

I have always enjoyed Christmas as the one time my family wouldn't fight. We loved each other, no matter our differences and we accepted each other unquestioningly. We baked and we baked till the kitchen was like a sauna of delicious smells and sights. I have always wanted to push myself during Christmas and have usually fallen short of the mark. This year will be different. This year I am not alone in my celebrations, I am not alone in my home.

I am a Northwood and I am proud.

So this year begins a challenge to myself, even more so as our first year married. Starting after Thanksgiving I shall strive to do some type of holiday craft and a baked good a day. I am still compiling my list of things to make or try but if you have suggestions please leave them in the comments below, I would love to hear from you! 

There's probably one question you still have. Who are the Northwoods?

You can call me Snowflake, and I will likely be the only one you talk to along this adventure. I am silly and irreverent in many cases but I try hard to always be a friend. It is my greatest dream to one day be the "neighborhood mom" with a kitchen that's always open and food always ready for those who need it. I am a rabid gamer, animal lover, all around geek and wife. You get a picture of me, and maybe the others later.


My husband (we'll call him the Shepherd from here on out) is a photographer, a writer, a historian and a wine connoisseur. He loves classical music and dabbles in Social Media. He tends to be far more poised than I am and he's never afraid to offer advice or compliment a stranger. He teaches me to be fearless, and reminds me I am never alone. 


Third in our family isn't actually a Northwood, but he's my family. We'll call him the Wiseman. He's a fully entrenched Warcraft gamer, obsessed with bats, halloween, sushi and vampires. He wants to live in Santa Cruz, play video games and cosplay. He's my best friend and he knows more about me than just about anyone else. He's helped me through a lot in my life and I don't ever see us not being a family. 

That's us, in a tiny and very limited nutshell. You'll learn a lot more about us as time goes on, I'm sure. For now, I'll sign off and leave you to chew on all that you've read.

With love and warmth,
Snowflake

2 comments:

  1. So, what kinds of craft ideas and such are you looking for? In terms of cost, simplicity, time, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's what I have on my pinterest, in terms of crafts. Preference is given to lower cost and more simple things, but I'm open to lots of ideas!

      http://pinterest.com/gwynnthiere/christmas-crafts/

      Delete